Monday, December 20, 2010

My Twinkie!

Ok…so Da’Da’ (Pronounced DayDay) and I aren’t really twins and we also aren’t really family, but he is just like a brother to me.  Da’Da’ and I met in grade school, but really bonded when we reached high school.  We were mutual friends of Kats and we all decided to be in a band together.  So there were four of us in the band, but Da’Da’ and I were called the Twins of the group.  He played bass, and I played keyboards (we helped each other out with rhythm and what not).  He did backup singing, and I did backup singing.  He sang a song, I sang a song. He was my first date to prom and one of my best friends in high school.



Da’Da’ lived right down the street, through the cemetery, and across the blacktop road at the end of town, from me.  I would go over to his house and play video games, watch horror flicks, and talk about “playing band” for hours.  He would come over to my house and we would watch comedies, hang out in “The Shed”, and eat frozen pizza.  BUT my favorite thing Da’Da’ and I ever did was lay on the top of his car’s front window and roof and watch the stars.  He lived further out of the city and you could see clearly for miles and miles.  We would lay on the top of his car and watch shooting stars, look for the different formations in the sky, and telling spooky stories about aliens and ghosts (he lived next to a field – think “Signs” – and he lived next to the town cemetery).  After our star show ended – usually when it was near midnight in the summer and I had to be home -  we would say goodbye, and I would head out across the blacktop, through the cemetery, down the road, through the alley, and to my back door.  Throughout the summer months this is something Da’Da’ and I did a lot of.  It was a lot of fun and we bonded over so much during that time.  This is also, probably, the reason I am not scared of cemeteries and actually like them…good times and fond memories always waited for me after walking through them. 



Through college Da’Da’ became my dance partner with ballroom.  He is quite tall so doing some of the dance moves proofed to be kind of difficult but he was such an awesome dancer and we laughed through most of our steps.  We quickly became the stars of our class and we would practice all the time.  We showed off our dancing moves wherever we would go.  We were at a department store one day and they had a CD preview stand.  So we turned on a tango and tangoed in the store, we turned on a rumba and rumbaed , we turned on a swing dance and I think I almost knocked over something nearby, but that didn’t stop us.  We had people clapping and wanting us to continue dancing.  It was great!  We had a blast.  He really helped ballroom dancing become fun and something I now love to do.



The next thing about Da’Da’, that you’ve got to know, is that he tells the best stories I have EVER heard.  If he traveled to Chicago he would come back with loads to tell you about skydiving off a building (doubtful it ever happened…but I will let him dream) and then he would tell you about capturing a lion in the jungle when he was in a store that had a green house outside, while pretending to be in the jungle between the plants.  Never a dull moment with Da’Da’. 



Now he lives in the “most magical place on earth” and I don’t see him very often, but whenever I get a call or message from him it makes my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment